18 October 2010

Same Great Content - NOW WITH A NEW LOGO!

I went to college with a talented artist by the name of Daniel McMahan, whom I was fortunate enough to room with for a semester our senior year. I actually didn't know him as a visual artist as much as I knew him for his work onstage. (He and I were founding members of our school's improv comedy troupe and I also had the distinction of directing him in a production of Agatha Christie's "The Mousetrap" as Mr. Paravaccini.) He also was a gifted filmmaker and a wonderful writer as well.

After we graduated, however, I realized what a gift and a knack he had for drawing as well. He moved back to his home in Texas from the American Midwest and, as he began looking for a job, found a place as a caricaturist at Six Flags. He would post his work to the Internet and I was impressed with his ability to capture the essence of a particular person while emphasizing the humor (which, I suppose, is what a caricaturist is paid to do, after all). He even drew a caricature of me, once upon a time.

As I started this blog, I realized that Blogger's templates and the like are too restrictive and limiting and their headers, too dull. What I need, Self, I thought, is a LOGO! There seemed no better place to turn than my good friend Dan. He graciously obliged and provided me with the artwork seen above, which turned out much better than I could've hoped for! (Yes, that pudgy young man colliding at ramming speed into one of the masters of Russian literature is me.) After a brief stop at a font site, I was able to get a logo that spruced up the drab Blogger template I'd been straddled with.

While Dan is a gifted caricaturist, he has a great sense of humor which he has channeled into a wonderful side project - writing and illustrating the web-comic, Bucket Gnome. Make sure you check it out and, if you like it, tell your friends! And, if they like it, have them e-mail Dan to get more content up there! I'm hoping that if the demand is great enough, he'll start making comics again! :)

Thanks for the logo, Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment