24 March 2012

Thoughts on LES MIS Film Casting (Part Three): And All the Rest...

"Never among animals does the creature born to be a dove change into an osprey. That is only seen among men."
- Victor Hugo (III.8.iv)

Day Count: 84
Page Count: 743

Just over the halfway point in Les Miserables and I am as entranced with it as I was when I began. I have recently been reintroduced to the character of Eponine (at least, I assume that's who she is) and the story is progressing well. This particular part of the novel seems altogether new to me, as it addresses aspects that are rarely - if ever - touched on in the adaptations of the novel I've seen. That's been exciting to experience.

But there are still a few more characters to highlight in my "Thoughts on LES MIS Film Casting" series (which has between the first two posts, drawn almost 120 people to this sight - more than any single post since I started this blog back in October of 2010) and I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone who absolutely MUST hear my ramblings. So, without any further ado, here we go!

Aaron Tveit will play the revolutionary Enjolras.
The first time I saw the musical Les Miserables, I didn't much care for the role of Enjolras, the leader of the revolutionary Friends of the ABC (which, in French is pronounced ah-bay-say, or abaissé which, in English, translates to 'the abased'). The character seemed like little more than a stuffed shirt, a static headstrong idealist. And I'd pretty much felt that way consistently... until I saw the 25th Anniversary Concert and the performance of Canadian actor-singer Ramin Karimloo.

Ramin's performance in that concert was the an eye-opening experience for me in that I realized that Enjolras could be a character played with depth and dimension beyond that of "I'm headstrong and idealistic." When it came to an actor that, for me, embodied the role, I really could think of no one better than Mr. Karimloo.

Hooper, Mackintosh, and company, however, decided on heartthrob actor Aaron Tveit for the role. Much like Eddie Redmayne, their choice for Marius, I know little-to-nothing about Tveit or his work. Having seen none of his television and film work and being unfamiliar with his theatrical endeavors, I had to go digging for information.

Apparently, Tveit is best known for guest roles on shows like Gossip Girl and Ugly Betty as well as originating roles in critically-acclaimed Broadway musicals like Next to Normal and Catch Me If You Can. He's also performed in revivals of Wicked (Fiyero), Hairspray (Link), and Rent (Roger). With this kind of Broadway star power, it seems likely that Tveit should have little to no problem with the role of Enjolras.

Film newcomer Daniel Huttlestone will play Little Gavroche the gamin.
I will admit that I do not know a great deal yet about the character of Little Gavroche, as my reading in the text has yet to lead me to a great many details about him. The character I know from the musical, however, is a loveable scamp, living life on the streets, the life of a gamin - a life which Hugo goes to great lengths to capture in the novel.

Like the character of Gavroche, it's difficult to know much about nine-year-old Daniel Huttlestone who has recently been cast in the role. Huttlestone has made a bit of a splash playing the role of Nipper in the UK revival of Oliver! opposite Rowan Atkinson's Fagin. According to The Daily Mail, Huttlestone captured the attention of the audience immediately, which more than likely lead to his casting in Les Mis.

I don't have a problem with child actors per se... it's just that most of the time, their performance takes away from the overall film. You can tell they are children reading lines rather than children experiencing what's going on with the film. The few child actors that have managed to do something substantial or lead to an audience to believe they are experiencing what they're meant to be experiencing grow up and become fair-to-mediocre performers. 

I remain reticent of Huttlestone's casting until I see the film. Granted, the role of Gavroche, to my mind, will be less without the full version of "Little People" (as sung in the Original London Cast Recording). This song comes practically right out of the novel, from Hugo's discussion of the gamin (urchin) of Paris, and - to my mind - expresses one of the major themes of the novel: the plight of les miserables, the miserable ones, the downtrodden, the oppressed, the abaissé. To take it out of the musical subtracts an important thematic element from the show. (Just my opinion, though. What do I know? I'm just a community theatre actor and classic lit enthusiast.)

George Blagden will play the frequently inebriated Grantaire.
Grantaire, one of the Friends of the ABC, is a bit of an anomaly amongst the group. While the others firmly and adamantly believe in the cause they are fighting for, Grantaire exhibits the nihilistic tendency of believing in nothing. No, what brings Grantaire to the group is his profound admiration of Enjolras, an attraction that Hugo explains thusly:
"Grantaire admired, loved, and venerated Enjolras. To whom did this anarchical doubter ally himself in this phalanx of absolute minds? To the most absolute. In what way did Enjolras subjugate him? By ideas? No. Through character. A phenomenon often seen. A skeptic adhering to a believer is as simple as the law of complementary colors. What we lack attracts us. Nobody loves the light like a blind man. The dwarf adores the drum major. The toad is always looking up at the sky. Why? To see the bird fly. Grantaire, crawling with doubt, loved to see faith soaring in Enjolras. He needed Enjolras. ... Instinctively, he admired his opposite." (III.4.i)
 While this doesn't necessarily come across in the musical (Grantaire is used predominantly for comic relief amid the idealistic Enjolras and lovesick Marius), it is too great a character aspect to pass over. While the only thing I've seen of George Blagden - the actor cast to play him - is this short film on YouTube, he is currently playing the sure-to-inspire role of Soldier #1 in Wrath of the Titans.


Original London & Broadway Valjean Colm Wilkinson will portray the Bishop of Digne.
It happens almost all the time. Whenever successful musicals get converted into movies, the producers try to appeal to fans of the original production by casting members of the original cast in the show. Whether it's Brad Oscar (the original Franz Liebkind) as the cab driver in The Producers or original Velma Kelly Chita Rivera playing an inmate in Chicago, there's something of a precedent. This is why it was something less than surprising when it was announced that the man who originated the role of Jean Valjean both in London and on Broadway, Colm Wilkinson, was to be cast as the Bishop of Digne.

While the Bishop of Digne is a relatively minor role in the musical - singing in only two songs, "One Parole" and "Valjean Arrested, Valjean Forgiven" - he is the person that kick-starts the entire action of the entire story. I do have to say, as I've mentioned before, that the Bishop of Digne has become one of my favorite literary characters and one of the most accurate examples of ideal Christianity that I have ever seen depicted in literature. This may be the one role that I'm not in the least bit worried about. Colm was the Valjean and he is going to bring the full force of his passion, intensity, and incomparable talent to the role of the Bishop of Digne.

Well, that's all I've got to say on the subject. Agree? Disagree? Just want to make your voice heard? Then, by all means, feel free to comment or, if you want to follow my progress-through-quotes of my own reading of Les Miserables, feel free to follow me on Twitter, @HurdlingHugo. Thanks for reading!

_______________________

Read the rest of this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment